Taken late afternoon in the golden glow of sunset, the budding Desert Rose.
Desert Rose because of its botanical name
Adenium obesum is sometimes referred to as Fat Boy.
The "obesum" tag refers to its water storing method generally at the base of the stem.
Originating in Africa and the Middle East, Adeniums are related to Alamandas,Oleanders and
I'm not sure just how tall these plants will grow, but mine, which were purchased as seedlings rather than propagated cuttings three years ago are now over one metre tall.
I have one growing in a Bonsai pot and this plant in particular shows how the base develops similar to the Baobab tree in its efforts to retain and store water.
One point to remember is that its sap is toxic (like Oleander) so be aware of this if you have children or pets.
It's also a good (safety) practice to wash your hands if you do get sap on them.
Finally: this is my Stephanotis just coming into bloom.
Also known as Bridal veil vine ,and Madagascar Jasmine.
Mine started life as a seedling:(I believe they can be propagated from stem tips of half ripe wood)
The flowering plant is doing very well in an elevated bed on the northern side of the house.
I have even had two seed pods produced.
They are like a smallish green woody pear. But nothing came from them, because I believe I cut them from the vine too early
Another plant, roughly only four feet away from this one, and in a large pot has produced nothing.
The friend who gave me the seedlings and is really a green thumb gardener, has had no flowers what so ever.
I wonder if she treated them too well!
Anyway, enough of gardening!
I am "auditioning" fabrics for a modern style of Crazy Quilted hanging: to be executed in black/white and red.
I feel a stash enhancement trip coming on!
Saturday, October 06, 2012
Friday, October 05, 2012
The Stephanotis is so slow.....to come to full bloom!
I should not complian, because my dear friend Trish , who gifted me with the seedlings some three years back, has STILL had no blooms on her plants.
This particular plant is readying itself for its second annual display.
Having said that, my other Stephanotis (growing in a pot less than a metre from the blooming one, has yet to show a flower bud.
Posted by Maureen at 8:02 pm
Monday, October 01, 2012
The original leaves were some I filmed and scanned after a visit to Japan a few years ago.
(Japan in Autumn is one fantastic back drop of colours)
The top of these three cards was printed directly onto cotton fabric.
The middle card: A forest area on the way to Mt Fujiama: I printed the abstract colours onto canvas then the scanned leaves were printed on Organza and overlaid on the canvas.
Finally, the leaves printed on Organza, were laid over the scanned and printed cotton.
Posted by Maureen at 5:35 pm
PostCardMail Art was organising a postcard swap incorporating labels: and this is my story of how I proceeded!
Using a commercial card I scanned and printed the contents to some cotton twill PFD fabric.
Unfortunately the colours didn't print as vivdly as I wished, but it still suited my purpose as a background for labels removed from ne of my favourite "drops". Stamp declaring PartyTime and typical drinkers' messages of good cheer were also incorporated.
In the card below Buddha, some "Paper fabric" from an earlier project was employed along with appliqued fabric cup plus sachet covers of Twinings "Lady Grey"
.The other two cards feature some tea-pots and cups that have been lurking in my sash for a "few" years-.-I took the liberty of using the teabag tabs to swing from a cup and also a pot.
For both these cards (featuring labels from plants purchased recently) I used some of the Gelli Plate prints I made a few months back. I hadn't used any of the samples until now because I felt the colours obtained were "too in your face". Laundering did NOT fade the fabric one iota, but hey! The flower (tags) used are pretty vivid so I married them together and I think they work together well.
Posted by Maureen at 3:06 pm