Friday, May 17, 2013


 Take a piece of driftwood and with some damp wavewashed beach sand as your canvas, write

Once again, my ambitions exceeded my capabilities, but it was fun trying!

At this stage I don't have any alphabet software for my embroidery machine, so I wrote "Aloha" with a marking pencil then satin stitched the outline.
I struck a problem when it came to adding the shading caused by the stick digging into the damp sand...., so I attempted to remedy this by hand stitching small straight  stitches around the letters.
In the first card I laid down a couple of silk petals from a broken lei, then added some metallic flower sequins.
The brightly striped fabric represents a beach towel and I made a pair of thongs (flip-flops  I think my American friends call them??)
Some small beads from an old necklace, and a couple of charms completed the beach atmosphere.

The second and third cards also shared the beige batik for a sandy beach.

Unfortunately, I got the" bright" idea of grating some Inktense sticks onto the fabric and moistening the result.
I should have stuck to my original thought of gluing beach sand to the surface, but I was worried about how Customs would react to that, so gave it a miss.

On the second and third cards I couched down some shaggy knitting yarn to represent seaweed on the beach, and if  you look closely you will find shells, the odd fish or dolphin
and even a turtle.
I have represented the beaches in a creamy beige shade, hopefully like the sands of Waikiki, but thinking back to a very short visit in 1979, I remember walking on a beach with nearly black sand and sloping very steeply from the beach to the water.....
Is my memory playing tricks, or have I remembered correctly?

Posted by Picasa

Monday, May 13, 2013

Butterflies are free

 It's a mad dash to complete my current postcard swaps before Thursday, when I'm scheduled for cataract surgery.

Sure, there's no real need to work so quickly, but I prefer to have the cards ready before time, just in case there are post-op problems.

I had already planned HOW I was going to work the cards, until...........!
I visited my local quilt supply shop for some overlocker needles, and there on the counter was this dusky pink fabric featuring butterflies and stamps!

What else could I do, but purchase a 15 centimetre strip and change my plans!

On cards number ONE and Three, I appliqued a digitised embroidered butterfly, whilst Card #2 had a dragonfly appliqued to it.
Card #1 also had a butterfly constracted of faux cabochon gem stones, whilst cards #2 and 3 had gemstone butteflies laid under tulle as there were no holes they could be stitched through to the background.

These will be sent to PostCard Mail Art members.

Posted by Picasa