Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Gumnut Babies

Some one on the Chain of Hearts group http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChainsofHearts/ was querying what Gum nut babies were,so I thought I'd help out by scanning some pics to illustrate.
The above is a scan of the book cover.the book being bought in 1969 and devoured by a couple of generations in our family.
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie were two characters brought to life by May Gibbs and were two foster brotherswho lived with Snugglepot's Nut (gum nut,not weird) father and the book deals with theri adventures in the bush.
Think of the kewpie dolls of long ago and you have something similar.
 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

skape7 said...

I have the same book, though I think mine was the next edition as the cover is in colour. It also has "colour plates" within the book and was with a set of several other books; "Dot and the Kangaroo" "The Adventures of Blinky Bill" and "The Magic Pudding" if I remember correctly. Snugglepot and Cuddlepie is one of my favourite childhood memories. :)