Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Stash enhancer

Monday and Tuesday's mail had me fairly beside myself in raptures.
A very dear friend down Melbourne way went shopping for me at Kazari. ......this is some of the beautiful fabrics now in my hot little hands:
aren't they super!
G included a couple of kimonos and Haori and one in particular intrigued me: A little white kimono.........it's size would fit a small 5 year old,but the intriguing thing about it,is that the sleeves are lined in red!
Now traditionally white is the colour for mourning,and RED is for joy/marriage.
The white fabric is patterened with the 16 petalled imperial chrysanthemum, and the red fabric is patterned with cranes.So we have a conundrum:WHY the combination of red with white? Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Hunter said...

Funny, Maureen. The first time I saw a red and white kimono several years ago I wondered the same thing.

I was told by several Japanese friends that red and white kimonos are worn for good luck. Brides will often choose this color combination for one of the many clothes changes they make on their special day.

Let me know if you find out anything different, though.

Darilyn

Sophie said...

OOoooh I do love Kazari!! All those beautiful fabrics and kimono's galore...