Saturday, March 31, 2007

ATCs and experimenting


This past week I've been experimenting!
What I've done may be "old hat" to many readers out there,but,I'm on a steep learning curve when it comes to new techniques in fibre manipulation.

I started off with a 'slab' of Timtex;
My first mistake was using Quilters (basting) spray instead of some other adhesive---
WHY?? that comes later!

To that layer of adhesive I added some previously made (Sculpy) art doll molds,bits of zig-zag braid,lace motifs,lace and braid.
When these had dried in position,they were then given a cover of (Jacquard) Neopaque paint;and then
Lumiere paint was used as highlight on the doll face molds and some of the braid.

As I was hoping to use these for ATCs (Artist trading cards for the unitiated) the slab was then cut into 2.5 by 3.5 inch pieces,some plain homespun was attached for the reverse side of the card,and then I attempted to finish the edges!

THAT was when I found that Timtex
PLUS quilters' spray
PLUS Neopaque paint and lace,etc........
does not take kindly to machine blanket stitch.......or any other stitch for that matter!

The result..............I had to hand stitch to complete them :-(

Oh well...........learn something new every day

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Digitalgran said...

The ATC's are lovely Maureen. I have never used timtes either, but I love the feel of cards etc. made using it. i shall have to get some soon, but I have enough things to try out just now as it is.

Helen in the UK said...

These cards are wonderful. Sorry you had such difficulty finishing them. Maybe it was the paint at fault more than the quilter's spray because that shouldn't have had any effect on the stitching :)

Nellie's Needles said...

FABULOUS! Who would've thought so much orange could look so GOOD.

I'll bet a 100Jeans needle would've pierced all those layers to couch a trim with a zig-zag stitch. Also, if your machine has a "slow" mode, it's like driving in low gear which makes stitching through heavy layers easier to accomplish.

Di said...

Wow! I love the colours Maureen.

Doreen G said...

Maureen the colours are wonderful-and I agree with Nellie's comments and if you sew slowly it may help.