Sunday, May 21, 2006

Mountain Quilters



Link

Mountain Quilters


When you're going to a quilt show,and you're not quite sure "where",a quilted car is a good sign!
Ken and I drove up to Peachester (in the Sunshine Coast hinterland) today for the second day of the Mountain Quilters biennial show.
Even Ken could not miss this sort of signage!
Although equipped with my trusty digital I have no pics to share,because some are being prepared for commercial patterns and some are yet to be exhibited at juried shows shortly.
It was one show where there were many and varied styles....some the result of work-shops and experimentation;some of the BOM genre and others, adaptions of commercial patterns.

One quilt that particularly took my eye had been five years in the making: commencing with fabric paint palmprints of two children done annually, surrounding two fabric painted masterpieces done by each of the kids and then set in fabrics dyed by their mother.
The two blocks the kids did were of a knight battling a dragon,and a girl riding a horse in a paddock.
The backing of the quilt was also pieced with fabrics dyed by Bernadine and the whole stipple quilted.
Bernadine told me she had planned the entire quilt layout with her EQ5.Hopefully come August I can share a pic with you.

Then there was the Q/S Applique/machine embroidered quilt in shades of burgandy by LynH..........This was a floral masterpiece embroidery and rich velvets in the roses.

If the Zodiac is your "thing" you would have positively drooled over the 'small' quilt (also made by Bernadine) each Zodiac sign was a block 8 to 10 inch square(I'd guesstimate) and each was free machine embroidered.
This lady's work is incredible and I'm totally in awe of her diverse talents.
You ought to visit Bernadine's Blog Fabric Dye and Threads

On a more prosaic note,I really must take my DH to quilt shows MORE OFTEN!!
I came home with a new rotating cutting board,a good supply of Rajmahal art silk threads,bead containers x3 and some pottery buttons.
(Shirley's buttons are to die for!)
Today I limited myself to 2 windmills, 1 wheelbarrow and another pair of thongs(flip-flops to our US cousins....not underwear!)


There was also a section of dolls.........glorious dragons, fabulous frilled lizards ladies with personality.
A fund raising section was stocked with cushions and bags of different styles,crafty little pin cushions,little weights looking like pincushions,but designed to stop the pages of your book flipping over;
Turned timber needle cases and doovers for lace making.

Time to go fondle my new threads...........

# posted by Maureen @ Sunday, May 21, 2006 0 comments links to this post

No comments: