Thursday, August 17, 2006

50 days: 50 fabric and fibre postcards


Link

Normally I hate jumping on another's bandwagon:
I'm referring to SharonB's inaminuteago
blogging of "100 details for 100 days".
Now don't misunderstand me,I'm learning heaps from reading Sharon's daily postings (she's up to Day58) and the other stitchers are presenting some interesting details too;
but my stitching skills are not up to telling/showing how it should be done.

At the moment I'm fairly consumed by/with fabric and fibre postcard swaps(the blame for that I lay at a certain NZ lady's cutting- mat ) so I thought

Why not do something similar about postcards?


The last three days have seen cards arrive from USA,Italy and the UK, and I'm in the process of planning cards for several different themed swaps.
Today,because I was having CQ withdrawal symptoms,I've basically worked on four CQ themes.....up until now I've tackled everything but CQ for cards;

and I'm learning that-----
What you can "do" as a CQed block does not necessarily work for a 6x4 inch postcard!

Consider embellishments!

When I embellish a blockI don't agonise quite so much over the thickness of embellishments because I don't have to worry about the overall depth---
(postcards are one quarter inch thick or less: as decreed by postal authorities around the world!)

I don't even give much thought to if there are "dangly bits"because I know the block will not be subjected to machinery.

Because of these restrictions,I tend mostly to mail my cards in clear sealed envelopes!
Okay!
I can hear the purists screaming that I'm not playing the game........

I put a fair amount of time and thought into making my cards, and if a clear envelope gets the card to its destination in a fairly pristine state,I'm happy.

Way back in January this year I came across a blogger's lament on Princessandthepea


and that plus post office staff advising me to use these clear envelopes made me take this action.

I now expect a tidal wave of comment!

5 comments:

sharonb said...

Maureen I think its a grat idea - featuring 50 postcards - those recieved and those you are making - it would be very interesting series - and would introduce people to new techniques they might not necessarily know how to do

Calidore said...

Send the cards the way you want. I'm with you - if putting my work in an envelope means it arrives with everything attached then so be it. Yes it might not be the purists way of doing it, but it's your card not theirs. Now having stood down from my soap box...lol....love what you are doing. Keep posting photos. I am going to get some of those face moulds and try them. I can see the girls and I having heaps of fun with them.

Hugs

Di said...

What a brilliant idea Maureen. Not sure whether I would have time to do a large amount of postcards tho but will follow this idea with interest! As for sending PCs I'm afraid I'm from the school of thought that they 'go as they are! but in saying that I must confess that you could really go to to town with the embellishing if you used clear envelopes.
That certain NZ lady has a lot to answer for!!!! Good luck with this.

Anonymous said...

Well,like me,you would know Di........how persuasive that lady can be! (VBG)
She introduced me to totally new worlds.....(and never mentioned rugby once)

Susan said...

I think it only makes sense to protect these tiny works of art from the postal service. The mangled things that come through, which are only paper, are proof that protection is needed!