Thursday, November 28, 2013

Napier......and Evie!

 Napier (North Island) is noted as the Art Deco city of New Zealand. Back in 1931, Napier and surrounds was devastated by a severe earthquake, and in their wisdom it was decided that the rebuilding of Napier after that event would follow the principlesof Art Deco architecture , which at the time was THE vogue.
So many of the commercial buildings of Napier feature the clean lines of Art Deco in their windows and verandahs.
The city welcomes visitors with people wearing the fashions of the 1930s and driving vintage cars of the period.
For me, the highlight of Napier was to finally meet with Evie Harris! Quilters around the world will recognise her as the woman who organised "Hearts for Christchurch"  After the devastating earthquakes that hit Christchurch in 2011.
And ladies, Evie is the most lovely lady you could hope to meet.
I first met Evie in (I think) 2004 through an on line craft and quilting group. Trust me, GOOD things do happen through the internet!
We both joined Postmark'dArt back about 2005/6  and she has mentored me in trying out new techniques....so it was a special time for me to finally meet her,
Evie was kind enough to try help me "find" art deco public toilets to photograph....and I have lost those pics also



Posted by Picasa

No comments: