Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sari yarn

 

About six weeks ago I purchased several skeins of Sari yarn with the intention of using it in embellishing my CQ projects.
However, an aricle by Helen Cowans on "knit STITCH & Distress" in QA magazine issue 20 caused me to do a re-think!

If I wanted to test her procedure,I needed to knit up some sari yarn first.
Some of you may be wondering,what IS Sari yarn?

It's a yarn spun in Nepal using threads from the waste of the Sari looms in India.
Usually 100% silk,it can also contain rayon combined with silk sometimes and it can be purchased in different grades........I think mine was a low grade,juding by the uneven threadwhich varied from tightly wound and extremely thin,to very loose and bulky, and requiring care in handling so the thread doesn't fall apart.

Beautiful and soft to work with,I can imagine it being used in scrumbling because of its glorious colourings.........each hank is a different combination of colours.

Anyway,being a bower-bird from way back I hunted through my knitting needle collection from mother and Mother-in law,found a pair of 10mm needles and loosely knitted the skeins together.

Next step is to find and liberate from my fabric stash some synthetic sheer fabrics for upper layers and a toning fabric in silk or cotton(natural fibres for the foundation) Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get your sari yarn? I've been,looking for some for a couple of projects.... did you order it from somewhere?